Is my employment contract valid?
In many ways contractual provisions can be illegal. If your contract contains one or more onerous or offensive provisions, there is a good chance those provisions are invalid. Examples of invalid provisions include, without any limitation:
- variance from the provisions of employment standards legislation
- variance from the provisions of human rights legislation
- unconscionability generally
- the addition of onerous terms after employment has started (especially in the absence of a corresponding benefit such as a raise)
- you never having agreed to the term expressly or implicitly
Employers should contact us prior to sending out employment offers. Many online precedents are American and contain clauses which are illegal in Canada (such as "at will" employment).
Employees should contact us at any time they feel they are being subjected to unfair treatment of any kind.